Saturday, May 7, 2011

Back in the USA

Sorry for the lack of pictures....  As many of you know, i lost my iphone and with it all the great pictures i will never get back....i pray somehow it turns up someday.   In the mean time to keep everyone updated, I met a gentleman who is 35 years old and was at the orphanage back in october 2010 with the church from Seattle.  He has moved to Thailand and will be devoting himself 100% toward the orphans.  He is marrying a girl that grew up at the orphanage.  He is very commited.....$800 in his pocket and no means of supporting himself right now.  Well, I thought it would be good to have someone there 24/7 supporting the changes i hope to see happen.  So, I hired him at $500 a month....this is almost twice the average a person makes in Thailand.  He will be sending us pictures and even update the blog himself now and then....

While i was there, i found a big need was underwear.  If you think about it, who donates used underwear....no one....so i went out and bought one bra and panty for each (with the help of friends, of course, not really an expert in the female undergarment world).  $1600 bucks....if you think about it, 1600 divided by 300 is about $5.30 each.  I thought a little high but the quality was excellent.   Next time I'm there I found a place in Bangkok where i will be able to buy 2 bra and 4 underwear for each for only $800.  

Marco, the guy who now works for me at the orphanage informed me that the biggest need right now is bathrooms...if you think about it, it must be a chore processing 300 kids in the morning and again at night thru the bathroom and shower.  Probably takes 1.5 to 2 hours.  I was never there that early or that late to see this happen. 

So, everyone, this fundraiser is to try to raise enough to build a building that will have nothing but toilets, mirrors, and showers in it.....should cost around $5000....can you believe that, a building built for 5k......cant even get the architect plans for that in the USA.....

I really appreciate the support I have received so far and as everyone knows, I am not a religious person, but I do feel fortunate to have so many nice people in my life. 

Don't donate till it hurts, just help a little each....thanks again, hope to see as many as you as possible at the dinner on the 21st of May.....

leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment